Monday, October 11, 2010

Hipsterism is a Religion to Which You've Got to Be Devout

They're a rare breed
So today I was walking back from class when I saw a sight I'd been looking for, but didn't really ever think I'd see... The BYU Hipster.  For anyone unaware, a hipster is someone who tries way too hard to fit into an era or demographic that they are not currently living in. They're characterized by wearing weirdly matched clothing, paying high prices for clothes they could get at a second hand store for free, and... other things (we'll just say there's a reason hipster and hippie share the same root). Being a debater all through high school, I've probably seen a disproportionate amount of college hipsters in my life, and have been wondering how that trend was going to translate once I got to BYU.  Turns out they're exactly the same, they just have a highly advanced ability to make up excuses for their appearance. When someone asked him about his little goatee and dress, his answer was a simple "Eh, I forgot to shave this morning" (not true, Matt Bird knows what an I-don't-grow-facial-hair goatee looks like. He'd been working on that thing) and he had "just rolled out of bed and threw something on".  Needless to say, it got me some entertainment.

Mom as a child
The big event over the past couple days actually didn't happen to me, per se. My mom tried to burn down the house in Boise, along with everything in it.  Yeah, it surprised me too.  I mean, I thought the normal thing was to sell my stuff, not burn it.  So if anyone knows a good place to keep all of my belongings that I didn't take to college, let me know.
But joking aside, everyone's fine, there was just a lot of smoke and craziness.


As for what I did this week, let's grind this out, because you and I both know that it's the most boring part of my blog.  On Thursday (wait, maybe wednesday... or friday. Imma stick with thursday because you can't call me out for it), I did this thing called "True Blue Football" with my roommate, Mark, and his friend, Claire. The name was highly misleading. I didn't even see a football. However, there was definitely a lot of blue. What it was, was a giant plastic tarp down the side of a hill, that was continuously being sprayed by blue foam, that turned everything it touched this weird, off blue color. So of course any logical thinking college student went down there and rolled around in it. It was pretty awesome.
Mark after being dyed...and showered
Me










Other than that, it just been the pretty typical college week.  Doing homework at the last possible second and taking tests. Our dorm is currently working on a remodeling project and it's very hush-hush, so I can't tell you much about it, but I hope to get some sweet pictures up soon.

And he's out.
Matty B

2 comments:

  1. And you thought you were free to be obnoxious about our "trauma" because no one would be checking the blog! HA! We do have a computer at the hotel so you just better watch yourself! I am SO glad you went and played in blue foam. I guess you aren't a boring child after all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete