Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Remarkably Laborless Labor Day (and other things)

Do you guys remember how I started off my last post with an "I told you so"?  It turns out that sort of thing might actually be kinda rare.  As I write this, sitting in my bed and eating my pre-made burrito from Macey's, I'm already reminiscing about the glory days when the amounts of women, enchilada's, and Matt Bird's self esteem were high.  Those were the good old days.

So Monday was Labor Day, and being the awesome FHE group we are, we decided to take the opportunity to hike the Y.  And when I say "we," I mean "everyone but me and Rob."  We were sleeping.  Now before you guys get all judgmental on me, let me just say it wasn't my fault.  Nate Garlick, my roommate and elders quorum president, who up until this incident I thought was a standout and trustworthy guy, said he was going to wake us up.  And didn't. So Nate, if you're reading this, I'm definitely holding a grudge.

Also on the list of things to do on Labor Day was laundry.  Me and Rob, being the economical pennypinchers that we are, decided to wait until the last possible second to do our laundry, and were running pretty short on any form of clothing.  No biggie, we had a plan.  We would do our laundry on a day when nobody had school and obviously wouldn't be washing their own clothes, right? We hiked our significant pile of clothes and laundry detergent downstairs (luckily in what had to be the only lull of the day), only to find that we had forgotten to get quarters.  No problemo, the central building has a quarter machine.  We took the walk over, only to find out that contrary to our belief, everyone does laundry on labor day and the central building was out of quarters.  Fantastic.  What we ended up doing was putting our hampers full of dirty clothes in the storage cages in the basement of the dorms overnight, until we could actually clean them.  So try and visualize it: all of the other cages are filled with excess tv's, giant boxes, etc. and then there's mine and rob's dirty clothes.  Sweet.

The rest of the school week went pretty uneventfully.  I went to my first devotional where I found out that President Samuelson either hates his job or is physically incapable of smiling.  I used all of my free time (when I'm not paying attention in class) to get ahead in my homework, so I don't have to do anything for the next two weeks.  And I went to the women's soccer game.  That was brutal.  Being a soccer player, I never understood why people had such an aversion to the sport.  Keep in mind that the only soccer games I've watched are my younger siblings soccer/rugby mix and the World Cup.  I had no idea the sport was so boring.  It was mind numbing.  In fact there was more action in the pre-game battle to save seats then there was on the field.  Somehow getting saddled with the job of saving seats for the group of friends that I went with, I was in the stands a half hour early fighting off people left and right.  At one point, a girl tried to sneak into my chairs and, when I told her they were saved, looked me deep in the eyes and with all seriousness (completely deadpan) told me "You suck at saving seats."  And then left, utterly disproving her point.  The score ended up being 0-0, by the way.

Grandma and Grandpa came down on Friday, so I thought I'd give them a little shoutout.  It was way cool to see them again, plus they brought me Hawaiian Punch, so it was pretty much perfect.  G and G, you rock!

Speaking of shoutouts, I'm not afraid to shamelessly plug for my friends.  My good friend Alysa started her own blog about college over at monalysasmiles.blogspot.com so check it out.  It looks way cooler than mine, and could probably be a good thing to peruse while you're, you know, waiting for me to post something new. Just make sure she doesn't start getting more views than me.

Well guys, that's all she wrote for this week.
Matty boy, signing off

2 comments:

  1. Can i just tell you what a geek you are! Who in their right mind tries to get ahead in their homework. Can we say NERD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you NOT to wait until a non school day to do your laundry!! SHEESH, listen to your mother!

    ReplyDelete