Sunday, September 5, 2010

Matt Bird: The Boy Whose Exploits Panicked a Nation

Bill Waterson is a freaking genius.  For those of you who don’t understand my title, it’s a reference to the iconic comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes.  In this comic, which I read religiously as a child (and yes, on the occasion, now), Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes run around performing various antics while lamenting the ever-present presence of school, parents, girls, and any form of responsibility whatsoever.  Who better relates to my own life?  As I was preparing to enter college, Aunt Juilana asked me to write a blog so that my family could garner some entertainment from my shenanigans and, I assume, keep tabs on me.  Thus I present to you the story of Matt Bird, the dashing young man whose wild and crazy college life indeed panicked a nation.


So I've been here for a week and I figured it was about time that I got this thing up and running.  And what's better to start a blog with than a big fat "Told you so!"? Answer: nothing.  I want you guys to remember a certain time when we were at Grandma's sitting around the table and you laughed at me when I said I would survive off getting girls to bring me food.  Remember it?  Yeah, it happened.  Today we (me and my roommate Rob) were at ward prayer chatting up the ladies, you know how it is.  Eventually it was brought up that these fine ladies had spent their whole day cooking a glorious break the fast meal and that me and Rob had been too much of a failure to even feed ourselves.  We played a couple pity cards and before you know it, enchiladas, chicken, and rice were flowing into our dorm room. Count it.


In other news, the first week has been, from what I can see, pretty standard.  Class is going fine.  I'm rocking all my 100 level classes and getting way ahead in homework.  I hate my 200 level class, but that's because it's humanities and I hate analyzing art.  Church is going fine.  My FHE group is pretty cool, we're hiking the Y tomorrow and have some other pretty cool activities planned.  Today, church was insane.  Things were going pretty okay, we went to sacrament meeting where nothing eventful happened... Then there was Priesthood.  We were setting apart the quorum presidencies and next thing I knew, I was being sustained as elder's quorum secretary.  Apparently telling the person before you call them is a courtesy only followed everywhere that is not Utah.  Rob had even asked me if I had a calling before priesthood had started and it made things really awkward when they called my name.


Anyway, that's the first week in a nutshell.  BYU seems to be a pretty cool place, let's hope I survive it.  See ya'll (something I picked up from my Texan roomie) next week.


Matt

3 comments:

  1. What !! Why are there no comments. This family always has something to say. Matthew, I love the blog... thank you. See ya next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is proof that you could so easily write essays for a living . . . move over Joel Stein a new awesome column has been born!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete